Public Consultation and Foreign Visitors
The General Council of INE, in accordance with the Agreement NE/CG629/2021, approves and addresses the public notice to the international community interested to arrange their accreditation as foreign visitor in order to learn and to be informed about the Public Consultation that will take place on August 1st, 2021.
Foreign visitors accredited for the 2020-2021 Mexican federal and concurrent local electoral processes, could attend the Public Consultation to be held on August 1st, 2021 without submit a new application. On this regard, they have noticed to the International Affairs Unit of INE their desire to attend the Public Consultation, sending an
e-mail sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PUBLIC CONSULTATION BASIC REFERENCES
- On September 15, the President of the Republic formally submitted to the Senate of the Republic, a motion to prosecute the immediate previous five presidents of the Republic (1988-2018), for the alleged fostering of crimes during and after their administrations.
- In accordance with the procedure provided by law, the Senate turned the proposal to the Supreme Court of Justice of the Nation (SCJ) to determine its constitutionality. On October 1st, 2020, the SCJ ruled a controversial decision by six votes in favor and five against for the plebiscite to take place.
- On October 7, with 65 votes in favor, 49 against and one abstention, the Senate´s plenary approved the ruling that issues the plebiscite proposed by President López Obrador.
- On October 22, the Chamber of Deputies approved, on its terms and by 272 votes in favor, 116 against and no abstentions, the verdict to the minute that resolves the origin and transcendence of the request for a plebiscite, presented by the President of the Republic, and issues the call for this process to be held on Sunday, August 1, 2021
- For the plebiscite´s results to be binding, a turnout of at least 40% of eligible voters is required (approximately 37.4 million of the 93.5 million eligible to vote).